This is a top I’ve made using Google Zeitgeist By Country (june 2007 stats). I wanted to know which are the most Googled brands in the world and determine if there really are lovemarks 🙂
In this study, I’ve searched for the global brands that appeared in the top 15 keywords searches in the following countries: Afghanistan, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Iraq, Ireland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom and Vietnam. I also took into account the internet users in the country and the presence of the brand in more than 1 area.
I’ve tried to avoid the “product oriented” searches and focus only on brands but the sad thing is that the list was quite short. Here are the Top10 Global Brands Googled all over the world:
10. Air France was no. 12 in France (with all the holiday coming up)
9. Corvette was no. 9 in Chile
8. Prada was no.5 in Ireland
7. Daewoo was second in Hungary
6. UPS was no. 4 in Canada
5. Bank of England was no. 4 in the United Kingdom
4. Krispy Krem Doughnuts were a big fuzz in Australia in June – it was the 2nd most looked-up phrase in Australia
3. British Airways was no.1 in Pakistan
2. Toyota was no.1 in Ireland
VERY IMPORTANT is the fact that NOKIA and TOYOTA are the only brands from Interbrand’s Best Global Brands 2007 Report Top 10 (NOKIA no. 5 and TOYOTA no. 6).
MISSING from the Google Top 10 are: Coca Cola (no.1 Interbrand Best Global Brands 2007), Microsoft (no.2), IBM (no.3), GE (no.4), Intel (no.7), McDonald’s (no.8), Disney (no.9) and Mercedes (no.10).
– NOKIA left indeed a lovemark in the world – this brand has a great potential and the advantage of the Internet is that people can google for certain specs on the NOKIA phones;
– iPhone was just a marketing campaign – iPhone was not Googled 🙁 (sad news for the Apple fans);
– CocaCola is strange to Google because they still direct their bugets for traditional media – If CocaCola is the no.1 GLOBAL BRAND, IT SHOULD BE NO.1 in Google also!
– Google (no. 20 Interbrand Best Global Brands 2007) has to be the no.1 brand for the Internet users all over the world but we don’t know it yet 😉
Google Zeitgeist Explained
zeitÂ·geist | Pronunciation: ‘tsIt-“gIst, ‘zIt | Function: noun | Etymology: German, from Zeit (time) + Geist (spirit) | Date: 1884 | Meaning: the general intellectual, moral, and cultural climate of an era.